Working Group 2: Young children’s digital literacy and multimodal practices in early years settings and schools and in informal learning spaces.
- To identify the current state of knowledge in the area across Europe and contextualise this within the international arena.
- To identify the educational policies of each participating country with regard to digital literacies in early childhood in both formal and informal learning spaces.
- To identify the implication of the research findings for European development of childcare and early education in terms of curriculum, pedagogy and teacher education.
- To identify best practice from the research literature.
- To identify key research questions in the field for future study.
- To identify key messages for policy makers.
Original Mission Statement:
The WG will identify the current state of knowledge on young children’s digital literacy and multimodal practices in early years settings and schools and informal learning spaces such as museums and libraries, including a focus on mobile technologies. It will examine current policies in participating countries in relation to digital literacy in early years settings and schools and informal learning spaces and identify research on early years practitioners’ beliefs and practices in relation to digital literacy. The WG will consider issues relating to the assessment of digital literacy and multimodal skills and knowledge. It will synthesise research and good practice on teacher education for a digital future. Finally, it will identify the future research agenda in this area and examine the implications of all of the areas investigated for policy in relation to education in informal and formal settings.
Kontovourki, S., Garoufallou, E., Ivarsson, L., Klein, M., Korkeamaki,R.L., Koutsomiha, D., Marci- Boehncke, G., Tafa, E. and Virkus, S. (2017) Digital Literacy in the Early Years: Practices in Formal Settings, Teacher Education, and the Role of Informal Learning Spaces: A Review of the Literature. COST ACTION IS1410. [Full Report]
Marsh, J., Kontovourki, S. Tafa, E. and Salomaa, S. (2017). Developing Digital Literacy in Early Years Settings: Professional Development Needs for Practitioners. A White Paper for COST Action IS1410. [Full Report]
Click Here to download the Think Tank report from the 3rd DigiLitEY Meeting, Larnaca, Cyprus 17/18 March 2016, concerning the continuing professional development needs of early years practitioners in relation to digital literacy.
WG 2 Objective 2 Draft Report
Notes from Meeting 2
Notes from Meeting 3